Special Districts, Improvement Districts and Fire Districts

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Special districts are comprised of elected board members voted into office by the registered voters of a specific tax district, during a spring special district election. Some examples include fire, water and sewer, irrigation and public hospital districts. The first step in serving on a special district board is filing as a candidate in the next special district election. Candidate filing takes place each year from December through February. For more information on running for one of these positions, call the Elections Office at 406-258-4751 or email electioninfo@missoulacounty.us.  

  • Special districts and improvement districts are created under Montana Code Annotated 7-11-21002 and 7-12-4102.
  • Fire districts are created under MCA 7-33-21.



Clinton Rural Fire District (membership page

East Missoula Rural Fire District  (membership page)

Frenchtown Rural Fire District (membership page)

Greenough Potomac Rural Fire Service Area (membership page

Missoula Rural Fire District (membership page)

Seeley Lake Rural Fire District (membership page)

Swan Valley Fire Service Area

Fire Districts that cover portions of Missoula County

*No Missoula County members on these boards* 

Arlee Rural Fire District

Florence Rural Fire District


Seeley Lake-Swan Valley Public Hospital District


Big Flat Irrigation District (membership page)

Clinton Irrigation District

Frenchtown Irrigation District

Missoula Irrigation District


East Missoula Sewer District

Elk Meadows Ranchettes County Water District

East Frenchtown Water District

Goodan-Keil County Water District (membership page)

Liberty Cove Sewer and Water 

Seeley Lake Sewer District (membership page)

Seeley Lake Water District

Shelby Addition Water and Sewer (membership page)

Spring Meadows County Water District

Target Range Sewer and Water District

Sunny Meadows Missoula County Water District (membership page)

Turah Meadows Sewer and Water District


Missoula Conservation District (membership page)

Candidates can only file during the filing period posted on our Information for Candidates page. If there are unfilled seats on a special district, outside of the filing period, please contact the Elections Office to determine the best method to apply to serve on that board. Call 406-258-4751 or email electioninfo@missoulacounty.us