Boards, Committees, Councils and Special Districts

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Missoula County is supported by a network of dedicated constituents who are either elected or appointed to represent specific districts or community centric issues throughout the county.


  • Advisory board and committee members are appointed by the Missoula Board of County Commissioners to help provide information and guidance to county staff and the commissioners on important decisions like open lands, planning, food policy, elections, parks, trails and much more. The boards and committees may be joint with the City of Missoula.
  • Governing board members are also appointed by the commissioners however, they have broad authority to manage the affairs of their respective department or district. The duties and responsibilities are generally established by state law and set forth in the resolution establishing the board. Examples include the Library Board, Missoula Aging Services Board, and the Board of Health. Governing boards may be joint boards with the City of Missoula.

To serve on an advisory or governing board or a committee, visit our Current Vacancies page to discover what opportunities are available. Applications are accepted online, after we receive your application staff will contact you to set up an interview with the commissioners.


  • Special districts are comprised of elected board members voted into office by the registered voters of a specific tax district, during a spring special district election. Some examples include fire, water and sewer, irrigation and public hospital districts. The first step in serving on a special district board is filing as a candidate in the next special district election. Candidate filing takes place each year from December through February. For more information on running for one of these positions, call the Elections Office at 406-258-4751 or email
  • Community council members are also elected to their seats by filing as a candidate in the special district elections. These elected members represent seven rural communities throughout Missoula County and act as a liaison between the citizens of their communities and the county commissioners, providing information deemed useful, beneficial and helpful in decisions that affect the community.
    • Community councils are advisory only and have no tax or other governmental powers. The councils support our rural communities throughout Bonner-Milltown, East Missoula, Evaro-Finley-O’Keefe, Lolo, Seeley Lake, Swan Valley and West Valley.
    • Candidate filing takes place each year from December through February. To file as a candidate, contact the Elections Office at 406-258-4751 or email To learn more about each council visit our Community Councils page.

Community Council or Special District Vacancies:

Candidates can only file during the filing period posted on our Information for Candidates page. If there are unfilled seats on a special district or community council, outside of the filing period, please contact the Elections Office to determine the best method to apply to serve on that board. Call 406-258-4751 or email 

A full list of Missoula County boards, committees, councils and special districts is provided below. Each title is an interactive hyperlink that will take you to a separate page with specific information about membership, bylaws, meetings and more.

Please contact the Commissioners' Office at or 406-258-4877 with questions. 

Back to Top