Building Division

Share & Bookmark, Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Welcome to Missoula County Building!


The Missoula County Building Division will be closed to the public Monday, May 13 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. due to a department-wide meeting regarding permitting. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to serving you in the future. The online permitting system will be open during this time. 

The Missoula County Building Division is self funded thru permit fees. We do not receive any tax dollars or special funding to operate this division of Missoula County Public Works.

We are here to help you get a permit and pass inspections.

Our staff is available to help you Monday - Friday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. (excluding holidays) via phone at (406) 258-3701 (select option 1 to request an inspection, option 2 to speak to intake staff). You may also visit us at our offices located at 6089 Training Drive, Missoula, MT 59808.

Please visit Missoula County's Building Projects & Permitting Guide at MissoulaCounty.Build for all of your project and permit questions.

If you don’t find what you are looking for you can always email us at




Please take advantage of this convenient, easy to use feature to help save time.


Check out these tip sheets to help you when permitting your project. These are the same lists carried by inspectors. 



News (Updated 1.3.2024)


  • Pouring concrete in freezing temperatures? Here's a guideline to ensure the necessary requirements are being met.

  • Climate & Geographic Design Criteria for Missoula County.

  • Missoula County-City rebate program will offer $500 for a heat pump water heater and an additional $75 for completing a satisfaction survey. You can find more information here.

  • Learn more about the building code updates from this PowerPoint presentation 

  • The Board of County Commissioners for Missoula County passed Resolution 2022-123 pertaining to fee clarifications, form changes, 200 sq.ft. exemption definition clarification and the adoption of International Residential Code appendices Q, Tiny Houses and Strawbale Construction. You can find more details here

  • The Building Division now has an online inspection scheduler! Please take advantage of this convenient, easy to use feature to save time scheduling your inspections! Inspections can be requested 24 hours in advance. We cannot guarantee same day inspections but will accommodate as schedules allow. Inspection requests can be emailed to or by calling (406) 258-3701, option #1, and leave a message.

  • If planning on doing work in or near a stream or river on private or public land, you must first obtain a 310 permit thru the Missoula Conservation District.  

  • CANNABIS & LIQUOR LICENSES: Cannabis and alcohol special inspections are only required for initial startup, any construction or alteration to the building, sale of business, or if the use of the building changes. A building permit application must be completed with this additional completed form. A Land Use permit will also be required. As of November 2023, annual renewals for cannabis and alcohol licenses are no longer required.

  • The 2021 International Energy Conservation Code was adopted August 11, 2022.

  • Are you in the market to purchase a new home?  See our tips to help you navigate thru some of the road bumps at     






The Missoula County Building Division:

  • Located at 6089 Training Drive - approximately 1 ½ miles west of the Airport off of Hwy 10.
  • The Seeley Lake satellite office is permanently closed.
    •  Please visit to start the permitting process and call the main Building Division line above if you need help.


Has Flooding Affected Your Structure?

Flooding can be a stressful time, property damage, the possibility of evacuation, workers and volunteers coming and going. If you have questions or concerns regarding flooding, please contact Matt Heimel, Planner/Floodplain Administrator with Planning, Development and Sustainability, at (406) 258-4642.


Located Outside Missoula County

If you are located OUTSIDE of Missoula County, you may still need a permit.  Please refer to the State Department of Labor & Industry to see if a permit is required in your area.

If you have questions about State permitting and codes, click here.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer