Dog Licensing Requirements  All dogs over 4 months of age are required to be licensed.  Citations for not having your dog licensed carries up to a $95.00 fine.  If your dog passes away or is given to another person, you must notify animal control so we can update our records.

Dog House Requirements  Dog houses must be durable and a suitable size with sufficient bedding to protect your dog against the cold.  If the shelter does not have a moisture proof floor, it should be raised at least 2 inches from the ground.  Between November 1st and March 31st the shelter must have a windbreak at the entrance.

Multiple Dog Permit  A multiple dog permit is required within city limits by any person, family, or household owning more than two dogs over the age of four months.

Rabies Requirements  All dogs, cats, or ferrets over 3 months of age are required to be vaccinated for rabies.  A rabies tag is not a dog license.

Transfer of Ownership  If you sell or give your dog to someone in Missoula County, you must notify Missoula Animal Control so we can update our records and properly transfer dog licenses.

Collar and Tags  When in public, all dogs must wear a collar with their license ID tag.

Off Leash Areas  Dogs can be off leash under voice control anywhere outside city limits.  Dogs can be off leash inside city limits on City Conservation Lands including some areas on Mount Jumbo, North Hills, Mount Sentinel, Tower St, Kim Williams Trail, and Jacob Island Dog Park.  Dogs must be on leash in all other areas.

Dogs at Large  A dog that is allowed to roam free can cause accidents, get into dog fights, be lost or stolen, and can be a nuisance to your neighbors.  Securing and supervising your pet is the best prevention!

Pet Waste  Owners are responsible for picking up their pet waste.  Reducing pet waste in shared and public spaces reduces the risk of disease transmission and makes the area more enjoyable for everyone.  There are bags provided at all parks and trails.

Stray Cats  If you care for a stray or homeless cat by providing humane treatment through proper food, water, shelter, veterinarian care, rabies vaccination, or altering the cat, it becomes your responsibility.  Please contact Missoula Animal Control to ask about how to properly remove a nuisance stray or homeless cat.

Unaltered Cats  You cannot own two or more unaltered opposite sex cats.  Outdoor cats must be spayed or neutered.